Based in Washington, DC, Venture Philanthropy Partners (VPP) is an innovative nonprofit organization focused on investing in programs to improve life outcomes of children and youth of low-income families of Greater Washington. VPP helps nonprofits build their organizational capacity to support strong programming with a focus on specific outcomes for youth by providing these groups with “growth capital.” With this unique type of organizational support – which ranges from in-house expertise to access to a network of consultants, resources and professional advisors – VPP is directly impacting these organizations’ ability to significantly improve the lives of youth in Greater Washington.
VPP seeks like-minded investors committed to our mission, to provide the financial resources required to have greater impact for the youth of our region. By building a community of investors, resources are leveraged or “pooled” to provide significant investments in the nonprofits we support.
VPP’s large-scale, cross-sector, multi-year funding efforts combine investment capital, strategic assistance and a network of talented professionals, with expertise in education, workforce development, social change, corporate philanthropy, government relations, outcomes, evaluation and finance. VPP also advises philanthropists, corporate and nonprofit leaders and policymakers on how to integrate VPP’s investment strategy approaches into their own philanthropic initiatives.
Over the past 16 years, Venture Philanthropy Partners has raised $100 million and supported 18 nonprofit partners to change the lives of tens of thousands of children by providing them access to quality education, health care, and career training. By investing in some of the region’s highest-performing nonprofits, VPP has enabled our nonprofit partners to serve 51 new neighborhoods, expand to 80 new sites and serve about 57,000 young people, annually, across the region.
.In 2010, VPP was selected by the Social Innovation Fund (SIF) as one of eleven national organizations from around the country that were awarded SIF grants as part of its inaugural portfolio. The youthCONNECT model is made up of high-performing nonprofits working collaboratively to serve vulnerable youth, ages 14-24, in a single location—like a school.
The six youthCONNECT Network Partner organizations are guided by a shared set of outcomes, and VPP functions as the Network’s backbone. Since 2010, nearly 22,000 young people in the Greater Washington region have benefited from youthCONNECT. For example:
- 9 in 10 youth applied for college, which is an important step for self-sufficiency.
- 8 in 10 youth completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)—enabling more youth to qualify for college scholarships, grants, and loans.
- 3/4 of youth obtained work experience—helping to prepare them for the workforce.
The power and promise of networks to improve outcomes for vulnerable youth currently guides VPP’s work. The Capital Kids Porfolio (2014-2019), seeks to build and expand collaborative networks including, but not exclusively, VPP’s youthCONNECT model, throughout the region. For example, through Ready for Work – Champions for Career and College Ready Graduates in Prince George’s County – VPP is partnering with Prince George’s County administration, public schools, local business leaders, philanthropy and nonprofit organizations to ensure students graduate from high school career and college ready. Ready for Work is a six-year $15 million cross-sector initiative launched in 2016.
VPP is seeking a Partner to take a leadership role in helping VPP influence and achieve its goals. VPP offers a highly challenging and intellectually engaging environment, an opportunity to meet and interact with thought leaders in multiple disciplines and across sectors, as well as, the chance to be part of a great team of people with similar social purpose.
The successful candidate will work directly with VPP’s executive team, the Investment Practice Group, board and outside consultants. The Partner is one of the lead investment professionals for VPP’s investments in nonprofit organizations (“investment partners”), working to help these organizations and/or collaborative networks increase their positive impact on the lives of children in their communities. Partners serve as high-level strategic advisors, coaches and mentors to VPP’s investment partners, helping them greatly strengthen their organizational capacity and/or engagement in collaborative networks.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leading investment teams on a combination of strategic investments and/or
- Assessing, understanding and recommending where networks/collaborative investments might be most effective vehicle for investment in increasing positive impact on lives of young people
- Coordinating actions of all other members of the VPP team who are involved in these investment partnerships and networks
- Leading investment teams to help develop and strengthen the investment partner organizations and/or collaborative networks
- Developing the investment approach and strategy for investment partnerships and/or collaborative investments
- Filling a critical executive-development role, providing advice and coaching to the Executive Director and, at times, other senior managers and the board chair
- Developing a specific “domain specialization” that has application to all VPP investments that will help augment and strengthen VPP’s strategic assistance, specifically in the areas of financing, outcomes, management, cross-sector collaboration, partnership development and management and risk management
- Capturing VPP experiences and insights to ensure that valuable lessons are learned and contributing to research, the development of methodologies, and other systems and tools to support the VPP investment partners and approach; and
- Interfacing with VPP investors to support VPP investment and network partners, further the philanthropic interests of our investors, and help nurture a growing community of sophisticated, strategic philanthropists
This Washington, DC-based position requires an individual with strong executive presence and experience. We are looking for a driven, high-energy performer who is resourceful and creative, and possesses a heartfelt connection to the social and community issues and causes that drive VPP’s mission. Learn more about VPP and its important work.
Compensation for this opportunity has been designed to attract candidates with significant experience and a commitment to this community and the nonprofit sector.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: VPP – Partner.